10 Interesting Facts About The Month Of October
10. The name October has been derived from the Latin “Octo” which means eight because October was the eighth month of the year, according to the Roman calendar.
9. October 13, 1775 - The United States Navy was born after the Second Continental Congress authorized the acquisition of a fleet of ships.
8. Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869. He was one of the famous leaders of the Indian Independence.
7. On the last week of October, it is the only time of the entire year when all four major American sports have games at the same time: the MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA.
6. Bill Gates, the world’s richest man from 1995 to 2017, was born on October 28, 1955. He is not only the founder of Microsoft but also an investor, author and philanthropist. He built Microsoft, the world’s largest PC software company.
5. October 5, 1947, the first presidential telecast address from the White House was made by Harry S. Truman.
4. For $825 each, Ford's Model T car was put on the market in 1908.
3. October 31, 1864, Nevada became the 36th state of the United States.
2. First appearance of In God We Trust on U.S. paper currency, on one dollar bills went into circulation on October 1, 1957.
1. Halloween, a night of tricks and treats, is celebrated in a number of countries on October 31, the eve of All Hallows’ Day. It is believed that on this day the spirits can wander the earth freely and children can hop for treats in the neighborhood in various costumes. Interestingly, in terms of expenditure, Halloween is second only to the Christmas.